Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Two thoughts

Sorry for delay in my posting. I am in jury duty this week. And when I've gotten home from that - I have to work. It's Wednesday and I'm already wiped out. Sitting in court for 9 hours a day is exhausting. But I know I'm there for a reason.

This brings me to my post. I have been dealing with a battle in my mind. I wanted to post some things I've learned recently about how to fight this battle. It is one that always seems to hit me. And hit me hard.

Here are some facts that I keep in mind:
 
1- You cannot think two thoughts at the same time. What I mean by that is if I am anxious and worried, I can't be feeling peaceful and trusting at the same time.

2-"Your emotions represent truth"is a lie. Our emotions are not truth - God's word is truth. I must focus on His words not how I "feel."

3-You cannot make yourself stop thinking a thought.

4-If you don't willfully choose your mind, it will be set for you.

Here are some tips, I use to help me in the battle:

1- Take every thought captive immediately. Stop the thought before it goes down the road of "what-ifs."
"The weapons we fight with are not the weapons of the world. On the contrary, they have divine power to demolish strongholds. We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ." 2 Corinthians 10:4-5

2-Resting in the truth that I do not have to accept every thought that comes into my mind.

3-Resisting what I have been taught my whole life by society - "go with your gut" - that is a lie. We cannot trust our emotions. Emotions or feelings are not truth.


4-Reflecting and trusting in this truth - "Those who live according to the flesh have their minds set on what the flesh desires; but those who live in accordance with the Spirit have their minds set on what the Spirit desires. The mind governed by the flesh is death, but the mind governed by the Spirit is life and peace. " Romans 8:5-6

I want to have a mind governed by the Spirit, don't you?

Jesus turned and said to Peter,“Get behind me, Satan! You are a stumbling block to me; 
you do not have in mind the concerns of God, but merely human concerns.” 
Matthew 16:23

No comments: