Wednesday, March 9, 2011

My time balance "rules"


It is so important that you be intentional with your time. As you know, our time is limited. We hear about this in Ephesians 5:15-16. I'm very goal/task oriented. So I write out goals and then back them down to the quarter, month, week, and day. I know that's a little crazy for some - but it works for me. And that's what you have to do. Find a system or no system that works for you. But the end goal is intentionality.

Today I wanted to share how I try to keep my time balanced. It's a challenge but I have a few rules to keep myself accountable. I long to be a great wife and mom. And the only way that can happen is if I keep my husband and family first. I also long to have time to grow a relationship with my heavenly father.

So here are the "rules" for myself...(again this is for me and doesn't work for everyone)

1-I'm not in more than one group at a time. For example-I'm in a mom's group right now, but I'm about to start training a team to go to Cambodia. So I will take a break from mom's group until I get back form Cambodia.

2-I try not to plan more than one outing for the weekends. This gives us time as a family and time to rest before the new week starts.

3-I keep a family calendar on google calendar. This way Greg and I can share it. We both can see what's going on at all times.

4-I set an etched memory for each quarter. I make one for family, one for marriage, and one for Finn and I. This keeps me accountable to do "stuff" that matters and not get lost in the tasks of everyday.

5-I keep a "life on purpose" weekly guide. On it I can write down goals for the week and my schedule. It helps me to easily see how I'm doing balance between all areas (Spiritual, Marriage, Family, Work, and Church) If you are interested in seeing this document - comment or send me an email and I'll send it to you.


"Teach us to number our days, that we may gain a heart of wisdom" Psalm 90:12

2 comments:

Ashley Jansen said...

Love this! No more than 3 nights a week committed by anyone in our family in one week is our huge time rule.

I also love the NLT version of the verse:
Teach us to realize the brevity of life, so that we may grow in wisdom.

Rachael Walkup said...

I love the NLT version of that verse - thanks for sharing Ashley!