Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Lessons Learned

Everything changes once you become a parent.

I have heard that statement a lot over the past 10 years. But I don't think I really got it until I became a parent. Being a mom is a sacrifice. It's a sacrifice of my time. It's a sacrifice of my brain. But oh what a wonderful sacrifice it is.

I've posted before about how much life has changed. And this isn't another one of those posts. This post is about how much being a parent changes your mind.

My lesson learned last week was taught to me while I watched Private Practice and Grey's Anatomy. Those are the two shows I used to love to watch weekly. However, the last 2 weeks both shows have covered the topic of abortion and adoption. And I have to disagree with how they portrayed it. Actually, this week - my radar in my head went off. I don't need to be filling my mind with this garbage.

So, I turned the show off and deleted the series recording from my DVR. The point of this post isn't to tell you to not watch these shows. The point is as a parent - I will have to teach my child about these issues once he's older. If I don't agree with what's being taught on tv - why am I watching it.

I am called to renew my mind. I should be filling my mind with better.


Everything changes when you become a parent.


2 years ago I would have never cared about this issue. Now I still would have disagreed with the show but I would have watched anyway.

Everything changes when you become a parent - and it changes for the better.

1 comment:

Dennis The Minister said...

(clicked the "Next Blog" button on my own looking for other believers to reach out to...and yours is the first "Christian" oriented blog to pop up after several attempts. Had to pop in and say hi...)
YES! and AMEN! I have BEEN at the point that I just leave the tv off except for news.I get so much more prayer and devotional time now.

Blessings,
Pastor Dennis