Saturday, April 23, 2011

Plans

If you have been reading my blog for any amount of time, then you know one of my struggles is control. Today in my quiet time God revealed this verse to me:

 Many are the plans in a person’s heart, but it is the LORD’s purpose that prevails.  
Proverbs 19:21 (New International Version, ©2011)

Again. Yes again. Just last week he showed me a similar verse but in a different chapter of Proverbs.

So what does it mean? Does God mean that I need to stop making plans? No. Does it mean that I need to recognize Him? Definitely. To me, this short and simple verse tells me that I can make lots of plans. But I need to recognize that ultimately it is His purpose that will happen. I cannot force anything to happen.

But our flesh wants us to take control. I have learned this is a tension to manage while here in this world. A balance so to speak that we must live in. Look at another translation of that verse:

We humans keep brainstorming options and plans, but God's purpose prevails. 
Proverbs 19:21 (The Message)

Brainstorming options and plans - yep that's me. My father in law sometimes refers to me as "spreadsheet" because of my love for organizing and crunching numbers. I do love it. That's what I do.

But it's not who I truly am. I am His. I am to recognize the Throne. Lets do that right now...

Father, as we approach the holy week - I pray I can sit back and fully take in all that you have done for me. Thank you Jesus for taking on my sins. I am so grateful. I really do not know what I would do without you, Lord. Right now, I submit my plans to you. I trust you with my life. I pray that we will continue to grow closer. And again I thank you for all you have done for me. Amen.

No comments: