Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Book review: "That's my Son" by Rick Johnson


The first book I read in quarter one was That's my Son: How Moms Can Influence Boys to Become Men of Character by Rick Johnson. It was a pretty good book. For me, there were a few spots I just had to push through and read. But I have 5 takeaways from it. 

1. If you have a son and you were raised by a single mom - read this book. It's very helpful to help get your perspective right on how to raise your son to stay and make correct choices. And ultimately how to be lead by God.

2. There were a few things I didn't agree with. One was that the mom should tell her son about sex. Personally, I think that a father should tell the son and a mother should tell the daughter. If there are two parents of course.

3. If you are a single mom, this is a GREAT read for you. He devotes a whole chapter to single moms.

4. Ultimately, I have to realize that I have to let my son get hurt, make mistakes, and fail. Through all of those things he will gain character. God will teach him through the circumstances and struggles. As a mother, this is not easy. We want to "save" our children from everything. But we should not if we want them to be a man of character (which I do)

5. This book challenged me to make a list of character traits that I want my son to have. This was big for me - the list maker. Haha! I do love making lists. Some of mine included honest, loyal, compassionate, honor, and trust-worthy.

So all in all - it was a good book. I would recommend it. Happy reading...

No comments: