Saturday, August 6, 2011

thank you to my supporters

**Beware this is a long post. It's the email I sent to my supporters. I wanted to put it on here as well, because I know a lot of people read from the blog and also supported me.**

Friends & Family,
    Sues'day ("Hello" in Khmer)! I've been home 5 days now and I'm just starting to come out of the fog. I'm still not sleeping great and definitely not adjusted to being here yet. I've been real sick. But I wanted to go ahead and write to my supporters to say thank you. As soon as I walked out of the airport in Phnom Penh, I felt as if I was finally home. Part of my heart was left in Cambodia last time.

    This trip was just incredible. It's hard to put into words exactly how incredible. And I know you cannot fully understand because you weren't there. You didn't smell the trash in the air. You didn't see babies without diapers. You didn't hear a language you don't understand. You didn't feel what it feels like to see kids holding babies or adults without shoes. You didn't taste the Khmer food. You didn't have a 9 year old boy calling you "mommy" for 8 days. You may have not experienced what I expereinced. But you supported me. You prayed for me. You gave money for me to be able to go. You encouraged me. You cared for my family while I was away. And for that I am forever grateful.

    Now, let me tell you a little about the trip. It was so refreshing to be with the kids. The worshipped God non-stop. They never complained even on a 10 1/2 hour bus ride. They are shining the light of Jesus and it's just inspiring. We also were able to do some outreach in the community. We had a big carnival at the orphanage and over 116 kids came. We put on a businessman's dinner, 85 people came and 22 accepted Jesus. Still another 14 people had more questions about God/Jesus. The next morning Jon and I had breakfast with some of the new believers. They asked questions about faith. And we encouraged them to go to church to experience life change. We also prayed individually over each child and staff person at the orphanage. We provided pillows for the kids (they didn't have any). But the best part was having Vanna never leave my side. He would squeeze my hand and when I looked down he's say "mommy." And I would say "you - my son!" And he would just light up with happiness. Such an amazing angel!

    Overall, I learned a lot this trip. I learned that I am not near bold enough in my faith here. I learned that I am incredibly rich. And I learned that I need to trust God even in the hard times because He has placed me there. It was very hard leaving Cambodia especially not knowing if I will be called to go again next year. But again, part of my heart was left in Battambang. And the part that came home is different. Better. I look forward to how God will use me in the days, months, and years to come.
  
     Thank you again for supporting me. I couldn't have done anything without your love and support. If you are interested in seeing pictures, go here: https://picasaweb.google.com/rwalkup520/CambodiaMissionTrip2011?authuser=0&feat=directlink

    Last but not least, please be patient with me over the next few months. The culture shock has been rough on my heart this time. I am glad to be home. I missed my husband and son. But I also miss Cambodia. Praying...for now-let the life change begin!

Kyom srolang ("love you" in Khmer),
Rachael

No comments: