Thursday, August 5, 2010

Heathly eating...

I just recently did the Daniel fast and learned so much. I wanted to share what I learned because I think it's pretty important!

1-You do not need dairy with every meal. I didn't realize it but I literally had a lot of dairy with every meal (yogurt for breakfast, cream in my coffee, sour cream on my lunch, cheese makes everything better, milk to drink, etc)
2-Why are all meals centered and planned around what the meat is going to be? There are some great meals out there that are based on the veggies! A few of my favorite recipes are below...
3-Healthy food really does taste good!

Here are a few recipes I really enjoyed. Even my husband who didn't do the fast agreed these were delicious!

Taco Soup
1 can of black beans
1 can of sweet white corn
1 can of pinto beans
1 can of diced tomatoes
1 can of tomato sauce
1 can of garbanzo beans
4 tbsp of cumin or taco seasoning
2 tbsp of olive oil
1 medium onion peeled and diced
1 whole avocado peeled and diced

Sautee onion with the olive oil, once the onions are cooked a little add all the ingredients together (except the avocado). Cook until boils, then cook on low for 20-30 minutes. When ready to eat, put sliced avocado on top.

Breakfast Cookies
3 ripe bananas
2 cups rolled oats
1 cup dates, pitted and chopped(I use raisins)
1/3 cup applesauce
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Mash the bananas. Stir in oats, dates, applesauce, vanilla, and I like to add cinnamon and fresh nutmeg. Mix well, and allow to sit for 15 minutes. Drop by teaspoonfuls onto an ungreased cookie sheet.Bake for 20 minutes;at 375.

Potato Leek Soup
3 tablespoons olive oil
3 cups sliced leeks, white and green parts
1 teaspoon minced garlic
6 cups vegetable stock
1 ½ pounds boiling potatoes, peeled and quartered
Salt and white pepper
1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
2 teaspoons Italian herbs

1. In a large pot, heat olive oil over low heat. Add the leeks and cook, stirring often, until
tender, about 3 minutes.
2. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
3. Add the vegetable stock and potatoes. Cover and simmer gently until the vegetables are
tender, about 30 minutes.
4. Remove from the heat. With a hand-held immersion blender, or in batches in a food
processor, puree the soup until smooth.
5. Season, to taste with salt, ground white pepper and Italian herbs.
6. Ladle into soup bowls and garnish with parsley. Serve immediately.
Yield: six to eight servings

No comments: