Tuesday, October 27, 2009

One month update

October 27th, 2009





Finn is a month old today! I can hardly believe its already been a month since his arrival into the world.  Here's a recap of where he is this month.

Feeding
We had to supplement with formula for the first 2 1/2 weeks because my milk was delayed in coming in. Then as my milk started coming in we started weaning him from formula to complete "mommy milk".  He was on total breast milk by week 3. So I was going to start nursing but he got thrush and so did i.  Starting week 4, we tried to nurse but couldn't get him latched. So, we will be seeing a lactation consultant to get some professional help. He is eating 3.5 oz every 3 hours.

Weight
I'm not 100% sure but I think he is around 8 lbs. We go for his one month check up on Friday October 30th. So I will update this after that appointment.

Sleep
Finn is sleeping for 1-1 1/2 hours at a time. He is on a 3 hour rotation. He eats at 5, 8, 11, 2, 4:30, 6:30, 8:30. At 8:30 we put him down for the night and he wakes up somewhere between 12 and 2 am to eat again. Those times aren't exact sometimes they fluctuate by an hour or so. The only time that's the same everyday is the 8:30 last feeding then bedtime. He still gets swaddled but he also loves sleeping on his tummy or side.

Wake Time
He is usually up for 45 minutes to an hour and a half at a time. He just looks all around and seems to be very curious :) its very cute! During wake time, we either have tummy time, take a bath, snuggle with mommy, lay on daddy's chest, chill out in the swing, or vibrate in the bouncer.

Clothes
He is wearing newborn size clothes. They are starting to get tight so they will probably last another week or two.

Fun fact
Finn is a grunter. That's how we know when he is hungry he just grunts around. Haha! He also smiles. Mostly as he is falling asleep. Its very sweet.

Mommy
Physically, I have recovered completely. Mentally, i'm starting to get the hang of being a mommy.  It definately took the full 4 weeks to get to where I am. Now, I'm just exhausted and hoping he will sleep longer at night! I'm halfway through my maternity leave. I only have 4 weeks left. We are praying that in those 4 weeks we can get a more predictable schedule going.

No comments: